Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Healthcare

Bush also brought up a good point about healthcare. O'Reilly asked if the government had a moral obligation to provide healthcare. I heard Bush explictly say "no", but the transcript reads "now" as he transitioned to another point. Who ya gonna trust, them that have the tape or my lying ears? Anyhow, the point he made is that the US has taken on a legal obligation to provide healthcare for a significant portion of it's citizens via Medicare and Medicaid. I think this is an important point.

I said in an earlier post that healthcare is not a right, it is a privilege. I hate the idea of government run healthcare. However, the US government does have a legal obligation to provide for those who qualify for Medicare and Medicaid. I just wish to hell they'd put some means testing in there. I don't mind the idea of providing healthcare for seniors living on cat food. I think our society is rich enough that we can treat kids without insurance. I think it should provide a minimum standard though. Let those who can pay their own way. So their kids inherit a little less.