Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Lightbulb Goes On

So I was reading Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism today, and the I finally figured out my root problem with popular support for Global Warming. No, I don't think the supporters are inherently Fascist. Let's not go Godwin's Law, here.

However, I do think that the Global Warming lobby is just another tool with which the collectivist relativists beat those of us who are both individualist and deeply skeptical of a Greatest Good. The key for me is Goldberg's extensive discussion of the Progressives' key traits of activism and social unity. I have no dog in the Fascism fight, per se, but I do see the AGW crowd trying to beat all dissenters into submission with these terrible dystopian futures that can only be solved by:
i. Submitting Capitalism to a Higher Power
ii. A Unified Society Acting Heroically Together
iii. Doing it 'For the Children'
iv. Demonizing All who Dare Question the AGW crowd's Moral Authority
v. Questioning the Authenticity of any Scientist/Skeptic

Personally, I see his book as a watershed moment in which fascism (be it Italian Fascism, Nazism, or whatever) as just another branch of the collectivism that has systematically opposed the West's, specifically Lockean, Christian Liberalism since the end of the 18th Century.

It seems like all of the anti-Republican arguments advanced during the Constitutional Convention took a century to come to fruition, but have been steadily advancing ever since.

Labels: ,